1. Why did Cornelia Augusta make Valentines Day cards for her friends?
2. Why did she study the hearts?
3. Why did she cut holes in one heart?
4. Why do you think that it was so important for Cornelia August to pick the perfect heart for each one of her friends?
5. How do you feel when you get a thoughtful gift?
Activity: After your discussion, have students create their own heartfelt gift. You can keep this super simple and provide only paper and markers or you can provide simple materials such as paint, tissue paper, glitter, string, heart stickers, etc...
Connections: you can find free printables here: Teachers Pay Teachers. Free Clipart images from the story HERE. You could also get this activity for a few dollars: Teachers Pay Teachers.
Some ideas for heartfelt projects: